The sounds of flowing water connects us to the circle of nature and reminds us that nothing stops still in life and that change is a natural part of our lives. The soothing sound of flowing water blocks out other harsh noises and helps us deal with our own mental chatter.
The peaceful sounds of flowing water can help us calm our mind and release tension from our bodies. It can also improve our general mental and physical health. Water droplets produce beneficial negative ions, so, if we are close to flowing water we will inhale these negative ions which are then absorbed into our bloodstream. Negative ions are known to improve our wel-being, and our physical and mental capacity by accelerating the delivery of oxygen to our cells. That is why we can feel so refreshed and invigorated after a spring storm or by standing next to a waterfall.
Using Flowing water whilst meditating.
Try this meditation if you have been stuck inside your office or place of work for a long period of time or where the air is not particularly fresh or healthy.
If you have any flowing water nearby then sit on a cushion or chair near it or us a miniature water fountain.
- Sit on a cushion, a chair or the ground near the water source.
- Breathe normally and focus on the sound of the water for five minutes. Try to empty your mind of all thoughts. When thoughts intervene, dismiss them as passing thoughts and immediately return your focus to the sound of the flowing water.
- With each in-breath, allow the sound of the water to deepen your relaxation in body and mind. Notice if you feel better physically when you are next to the flowing water.
- Meditate for about ten minutes more and when you feel ready end your meditation.
- Drink a large glass of pure fresh water and remind yourself to drink enough water everyday.